It’s summer. The sky here in Perthshire is heavy with threatening rain clouds and we keep fingers crossed that the weekend will stay dry. It’s also the season for lists. That time of the year when the newspapers run out fresh ideas to fill their many column inches.
And so we see:
o Twenty recommended activity holidays for families
o The most sought after hotel rooms this month
o And even ‘The Ten Best Elvis Lookalike Dogs‘ (here’s one!)
So while we’re on the topic of lists – here is my list of The top ten attributes in a co-author.
In no specific order.
- Complementary strengths – resulting in something that is greater than the sum
- A shared view of what makes a ‘good’ piece of work – so that the output of the creative minds converge
- Honesty – about all things pertinent to the writing process
- The ability to give and accept constructive criticism – so that differences are a spur to improving quality
- Flexibility over deadlines and progress – which will be inevitable, and may not apply equally
- Respect for the other person – for their feelings, values and hopes
- Reflective – and willing to engage in a learning experience
- Fun and interesting to be with – that’s what helps keep the momentum going
- Supportive and positive – you’ll need that when the going gets tough for you
Does anyone have any more suggestions?
And now for the ubiquitous list of Top summer reads. All enjoyed by Mirren at one time or another with feet up, beach or pool-side.